The Merchants Difference
Merchants Bonding Company is among the top 15 largest surety writers in the United States, with an 80-year reputation for consistency, common sense underwriting and customer service. It is not a coincidence that more than 20 percent of our top producing agents have partnered with Merchants for more than 20 years and 70 percent have partnered with us for more than five years. Strong, long-lasting relationships are what we seek out, cultivate, and maintain.
Merchants has achieved an "A" (Excellent) rating with A.M. Best for 54 consecutive years. (Best's Data Services, July 2012)
Merchants Bonding is unique because our focus is almost exclusively on surety. Unlike other insurance companies with multiple lines of business, Merchants has honed its expertise in contract and commercial surety bonding.
The Benefits of Merchants Surety Solutions Include:
Common Sense Underwriting
- Accounts are NOT alike - We underwrite each account on its own merits.No rules carved in stone and we don't use inflexible formulas.
- Net Worth is key, both business and personal - Our emphasis is on net worth, including personal net worth, because it is the best reflection of a company's past success and future potential.
- Character Counts - Merchants places significance on the personal character of business owners. References, length of time in business and significant personal events offer insight.
- The Art & Science of Underwriting - The science of underwriting involves detailed data analysis, but it is in the art of underwriting where Merchants truly shines. It is the combination of our art and science that sets us apart from other surety companies and positions our agents for long-term success.
- Personal Service - We are fiercely committed to providing personal service. From our same-day responses, to our recognition programs, you will always have people to speak to, and our people promise to serve your needs with fast, friendly service.
- Online Innovation - Our Agency Center provides for all of your online bonding needs. Merchants' web site is among the top 5 used for online bond processing, according to the NASBP 2007 Technology Survey. Merchants' own satisfaction survey of users shows extreme satisfaction and appreciation for ongoing innovations.
- Team Approach - Merchants serves all 50 states with teams of underwriters. All of our underwriters have a deep understanding of surety and the people who use it. Merchants' agents benefit from the innovative ideas, quality decision-making, superior underwriting and first-class service that come with our team approach.